It’s common to hear of someone being allergic to things like pollen, dust and pets, but toothpaste? Believe it or not there are thousands of Americans that may have some sort of sensitivity or allergy to certain toothpastes.
What are you Allergic to in Toothpaste?
An allergic reaction can be caused by something as simple as the flavoring in the toothpaste or a preservative ingredient. Common flavoring such as cinnamon, peppermint, and spearmint in toothpaste can cause an allergic reaction. Other causes can be associated with preservatives such as parabens, foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulfate, essential oils (i.e. tea tree oil), and even fluoride.
Signs You May be Allergic to Your Toothpaste
There are quite a few natural and manufactured elements that might cause you to experience an allergic reaction. Here are a few of the most common…
- Increased sensitivity of your teeth or gums
- Swelling or increased redness of your tongue or the lining of your mouth
- Changes around your mouth such as extreme redness, chapped lips or inflamed skin
- Body rash or hives
- Angioedema or anaphylactic shock
What to do if You’re Allergic to Your Toothpaste
The best route is to try and identify what is causing your reaction in the first place. Through a series of trial and error with the help of your dentist, you can narrow down what might be the culprit. Other options include using a more natural toothpaste such as the Tom’s brand or making your own at home.
The best thing you can do is to first consult with your dentist because they can help you determine what would be the best course of action based on your symptoms.